Rev. Chung Yan (JoAnne) Lam
Rev. Chung Yan began serving as the interim Priest-in-charge of our Parish on October 1, 2019. She was appointed by the Rt. Rev. Shane Parker, the bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa, on August 1, 2020 to continue her ministry with the parish as our Incumbent.
Rev. Chung Yan comes to this parish as an active expression of our full communion between The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada and the Anglican Church of Canada. We honour this opportunity to be a witness to the ecumenical partnership between our Christian traditions. Read more about the Waterloo Declaration, the foundational document on our full communion relationship with commentary from the Anglican Church of Canada.
Ordained into parish ministry in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada in 2016 at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church, Eastern Synod. Having served as the Dean of the Ministry Area, participated at various level of synodical and national ELCIC context, Rev. Chung Yan continue to seek opportunities to live out her passion in service in both Lutheran and ecumenical opportunities.
A little more about Rev. Chung Yan...
a Hong Kong-born Chinese-Canadian
baptized in the Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) in Hong Kong,
grew up in the United Church of Canada and served within the Ethnic Ministries Council, the Moderator’s Advisory Committee, and co-director of YAYA camp for Ethnic Ministries Council
Master degrees from Emmanuel College, Toronto School of Theology, Bossey Ecumenical Institute, University of Geneva, and at Waterloo Lutheran Seminary; doctoral coursework at St. Paul University
Active Lutheran representative with Christian Council of the Capital Area, Good Samaritan Interfaith Food Drive (Ottawa), Evangelical Lutheran Foundation of Eastern Canada (ELFEC), Racial Justice Advisory Committee in ELCIC Eastern Synod, Ottawa Pastoral Care Training Program
"We are a beacon of light in a world in need of compassion, generosity, community, empathy, and grace. Most of all, we journey together with hearts full of love for all creation, witnessing that we are liberated by God's grace, equipped to be the hands and feet of Christ."
The first church building is thought to have been built in the late 1850’s. The original building was a simple wooden structure that also served families from the nearby communities of Navan, Vars and Canaan. In those early days, Bearbrook was the base of a travelling ministry that stretched as far as Osgoode.
The first service in the present building, a baptism, took place on January 13, 1900.
Many improvements have been added over the years, including the Bell Tower in 1924 and the church basement in 1992. In 1966, the congregation of St. Paul’s Canaan, which had been established as far back as 1864, reunited with Trinity, Bearbrook.
St. Mary's Navan
The first church in Navan was built in 1867 by families who had previously traveled to Bearbrook. Still part of the Parish of Bearbrook until 1888, in that year St. Mary’s became a separate parish with the congregations in Blackburn and Cumberland.
The present church was opened on December 27, 1898 on the same site, with a confirmation service also presided over by the first Bishop of Ottawa.
St. Mary’s Church Hall was built in 1950.Since 1969, the Hall has been the home of the Navan Community Sunday School, open to all children in the community.
St. Andrew's, Vars
In 1889 several Anglican families purchased a parcel of land from a local Presbyterian farmer for the construction of a new church. Consecrated on May 28, 1890, by the first Bishop of Ottawa, St. Andrew’s is the only church of that name in the Diocese of Ottawa, the name having been a condition of sale. Originally built with very simple furnishings, many improvements have been added over the years, including, in 1929, a reed organ. The existing bell tower was built to replace the original tower after the weight of the church bell caused the latter to sag.